Friday, August 14, 2009

Habitat for Humanity

This week I participated in my first Habitat for Humanity build.  We worked on a three bedroom house in Downey for a family that previously lived in a two room apartment.  Habitat is a non profit organization dedicated to eliminating homelessness and to improving the lives of families across the world.  

I am so impressed by this organization.  They don't simply deposit families into homes and move on.  They devote time and energy into giving families the tools and resources to take responsibility for the homes and their upkeep on their own.   Through affordable mortgage payments and "sweat equity," these homes are earned and not just given away.   Currently they have built over 300,000 houses around the world and provided shelter for nearly 1.5 million people.
It was very rewarding to be a part of this effort.  For the most part, my involvement was limited to shoveling and patting dirt for the area which will eventually become the front lawn. As much as I hoped to do more, my power tool skills are questionable at best.    Its so easy to forget how blessed we are and this was a great way to pay it forward and have a great time in the process.  I highly recommend volunteering.  For more information, check out www.habitat.org



No comments:

Post a Comment